top of page

Guidelines for Temporary Signs on Waverley Common Land


If you want to place signs on Waverley common land you need to seek approval in advance. This is because the erection of signs requires landowner permission, is subject to by-laws and planning restrictions and we want to prevent a proliferation of unsightly signs spoiling the countryside.

The Countryside Ranger for your area can give permission for certain types of signs and advise on suitable locations, but only if they comply with the following guidelines:-

- Temporary notices or signs advertising local charitable or fundraising events, but not for commercial purposes

- The advertisement does not exceed 0.6 of a square metre

- Placed on the common not more than 28 days before the event

- Removed the day after the event

- Freestanding – not attached to a tree or structure

- At least 2 metres back from the highway. If a footpath is present this is considered part of the highway.

- Should not obstruct any sight lines

Other types of advertising or size of sign may require planning permission and you will need to check with Waverley Borough Council Planning Department (01483 523336).

Any unauthorised signs will be removed from the common. If you wish to reclaim them you will need collect them from the ranger’s office.


Countryside Rangers:-
Sarah Henderson: 

01483 423081 (Cranleigh, Ewhurst, Wonersh, Bramley, Godalming)

Ian Baldwin:

01483 423081 (Haslemere, Chiddingfold, Dunsfold, Alfold, Hambledon, Witley, Hascombe)

Fiona Haynes:

01252 792416 (Farnham, Tilford, Elstead, Thursley, Bealswood)

Steve Webster:

01252 792416 (Frensham Common)

bottom of page